Monday, October 2, 2006

P-Riv Update: Week 4

I am going to gripe a little during this update.

Philip Rivers looked amazing in a really annoying loss to the Senior Citizen Baltimore Ravens. I am pretty sure the only thing that made me very angry about that game was Marty Schottenheimer calling a running play on every single third down; regardless of length. 3rd and 4=run, 3rd and 17=run, 3rd and 9=run. Rivers throws 1 pick early and Schott totally loses faith. Schott slips into the beloved (sarcastic) 'Martyball'. The Chargers have a reputation for losing late game leads and he still plays 'Martyball'. I would compare that logic to trying to swallow a machete knife over and over again thinking that eventually it will stop hurting. Nonsense.

A respectful and diplomatic Rivers responded perfectly as members of the media probed to catch a 1st year starting quarterback doubting his coach's decisions. "I'm obviously confident in what was called," Rivers said. "If we execute every play that's called, we win." Class comments from a wonderful leader and competitor. Did anyone see his reaction after not having the opportunity to throw a final pass? I thought it was a perfect reaction. His expression encapsulated the entire 2nd half.

I was very disappointed that my Chargers lost, but I am still pleased with Rivers's play. Another extremely difficult test faces us this week as we square off against the hungry and rested Steelers on Sunday Night Football.

On a side note, our Wolfpack look to go to 4 and 2 versus the 'Noles in their last 6 meetings. Pretty amazing considering the mediocrity of our program. We are sure to be riding high from the BC game and we are playing at home. Scattered thunderstorms are predicted all night in Raleigh, so I hope the game does not turn into a washout or worse, get delayed. Thank you all for reading this entire email and cheer us on to victory tonight and especially Sunday.

GO CHARGERS!

No comments: